Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Weigh-in Wendesday

Ok folks, I'm *trying* to get back on the fitness bandwagon. And while I would love to fit into the pair of designer jeans that have been shoved in the back of my closet since finding out I was pregnant the first time, more than that I want to be fit and healthy. And I want to be a good example for my kids (especially my daughter).

So. I've lost weight before, and actually was successful in keeping it off. Then came marriage and two babies in two years (and a year of sleep deprivation courtesy of the beautiful baby girl) and The Work Year From Hell (aka neg reg and two massive proposed rule packages and me traveling about one week a month). And with all those things came laziness about eating and exercising. And lots of excuses.

But guess what? Life is always going to be busy. I'm always going to be tired, cookies are always going to be more appealing than edamame crisps. It's about choices, and I choose to make better choices and take care of myself, because in the long run it will mean taking better care of my family.

And it's not just about diet and exercise. I need to go to a sports ortho and get another opinion about my knee. I want to run, but I can't go out the first day and try to pound out 4 or 5 miles. I need to approach it like I've never run before, and start with a walk-run program and build a base. I need to go to a dermatologist before the end of 2011 and get a couple moles anf freckles checked out. And I need to get a baseline mammogram. It's about those jeans, but it's more about being healthy and fit and living to see some grandchildren some day.

Today I hopped on the scale for my official starting weight in this project. Monday as a weigh-in day is just so... Monday. So Wednesday it is for the official day. I'm not going to tell you the number that was on that scale. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it is just that - a number. I'd like to lose about 40 to 50 pounds to be where I feel best, where I don't have to work out two times a day and seriously restrict what I eat to maintain, but where I am comfortable and feel good (and those damn jeans will fit), so let's say 45 to give a little + and - wiggle room.

The little step I'm going to take in January to build good habits: say no thank you. We have cake at work all. the. time. to celebrate something or other. It's ok to pass on the cake or take one bite, and just sit and chat. And why is it I throw away produce and fresh food almost every week, but when my well-meaning husband comes home with lo mein or french fries I eat them because I don't want to waste the food and money? That needs to end. And the "mommy munching" - finishing the last 3 or 4 bites of food on the kids' plates because I don't want to waste it. They didn't eat it because they are good about self-regulating and stopping when they are full... I need to do that to, and be ok with scraping it in the trash. So that is the healthy habit plan eating-wise for January. For exercise, I am going to block the gym time on my calendar at work and GO. No more excuses, the work will always be there, and I am less stressed and feel better when I can get on the pool treadmill or take a spin class.

So. Here we go...

No comments:

Post a Comment