Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The commute is wearing me down

Yesterday was my first day back in the office after more than a week off. How is it in that week I forgot how much the commute sucks? It sucks and it is sucking the life out of me.

I drive to the Greenbelt Metro station, take the green line to Gallery Place and then red to Farragut North. On a good day this takes an hour and a half (maybe once a week), on a bad one two hours (twice a week usually) and the norm is about an hour and forty-five minutes. I telecommute on Wednesdays but end up going into DC anyhow maybe twice a month.

So for arguments sake, lets say I commute four days a week, 105 minutes each direction (so 8 times a week or 840 minutes total each week), 4 weeks a month. That's 3,360 minutes a month spent commuting. 40,320 minutes a year. That's 672 hours, or 28 days. TWENTY-EIGHT DAYS! Almost a month. I spend almost a month every year between my car and the Metro doing nothing other than getting to and from work and trying not to give in to commuter rage.

Yeah, that's a productive use of my time.

1 comment: