Thursday, January 6, 2011

Treading water

We woke up late this morning. My damn clock has an AM and PM designation on the alarm, and I had it set for 5:30 PM somehow. Of course this is the day Tom's insomnia and early rising didn't wake me up, and the kids slept in. Even the damn cats were quiet. Nothing like waking up leisurely from a good dream, all warm and comfy, stretching and yawning and looking towards the window and HOLY HELL THERE IS LIGHT OUT THERE!!!!

Got the kids ready (it is more awesome than I can say that the boy will pick out his own clothes and dress himself) and Tom took them to day care while I threw on clothes and hit the road. Get to the Greenbelt station and Metro has once again screwed the pooch. Seriously, I think announcements should be made only when things are running well and on-time, it would be easier.

Got to the office late for a 10:00 meeting which then ran long, finally sat down at my desk to return email and phone calls... looked at my clock when I could finally come up for air and it was 1:30. Ate lunch at my desk while reading the news, then back to the regular grind. The good thing is I accomplished a lot today and crossed off most of my to-do list for the week.

Coming home, Metro was Metro. Walked in the door at 7:00, reheated leftovers for my dinner while calling a couple people on the west coast that I didn't have time to from the office, collected the girl to get her into bed and intended to fold laundry and clean the upstairs bathrooms after she was down.

Only she wanted to cuddle. "Read, Mama. Read to me." So I did. She picked a new book, one Santa brought for her: If Animals Kissed Good Night And every time a baby animal got a kiss good-night, she would lean back and kiss me, wrapping those tiny arms around my neck to kiss my nose or lifting my hand to kiss my palm. When it was over she asked me to read it again. And then again.

Damn the laundry, it's already wrinkled. And the bathrooms can wait. I managed to tread water today without going under, and got extra snuggles to boot. I call today a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment