Sunday, September 11, 2011

On your third birthday

Happy birthday baby girl. My sweet, feisty, strong, brave, tiny little bug. I can't believe you are three.

You are the baby I didn't know I needed until I had you, and now I can't imagine our family without you. And I do need you, baby girl. I need you and love you so much.  Some days it scares me, because I don't want to hurt you or damage you, and parenting a girl scares the ever living shit out of me. Girls are hard, and scary, and fearsome - I know, I am one... but you are so easy to love, and it all comes back to that.

I promise to always love you, my little one. Even when loving you means making you hate me. I want to wrap you up in bubble wrap and protect you from the world, but I can't and should not and won't. I will let you get hurt and make mistakes, and will hold you and rock you. I would take on any hurt you get if I could, be it a scraped knee or a broken heart. Hurting is part of it all, and it sucks, and it kills me to see your tears. May I always be able to kiss them away, may a "Hello Kitty" band-aid always make it better.

You are growing up so fast. I'll let you grow up, I promise. But you will always be my little buggy and I will always love you baby girl. Happy birthday, Clara. I can't wait to see what 3 brings to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment